Monday, May 28, 2012

Death in the Wild

It was an ordinary day, good weather, didnt think anything would come up so I thought I'd go for a walk. I left the Ranger station around 11am and departed the small town of Utahville. Funny name I know, but its beautiful so why not?
I drove my 2005, 2 door jeep wrangler and parked near the entrance of a local mountain trail, the jeep's orange paint looked more worn than usual.
It was a trail I usually walked, it was thick with brush and some pine tress. After several trips. I knew a few get-aways with amazing views. One in particular had a great cliffside drop. I followed the thin. un-beaten path, the clear blue sky being partly blocked out. It opened up, and sure enough I was greeted with the great view and a light breeze.
I pulled out my canteen and chugged a couple mouthfuls of cool water along with a deep breathe of fresh air. I poured a quick stream onto the ground, intrigued at its winding path down the cliffside. I suddenly realized the alarming amount of flies in the area when I looked over the edge.
A young man slumped against the cliff face, about early twenties. His left leg looked mangled or broken. A strange buzz was in the back of my head, I immediately retrieved my radio and called in a medivac.

No comments:

Post a Comment